Saturday, June 24, 2017

Summer in Toronto: Sensational Strawberry Shortcake!

Summer in Toronto:  Sensational Strawberry Shortcake!

What is there not to love about Strawberry Shortcake?  During summer in Toronto, we indulge in a perfectly balanced sweet but not too sweet combination of fresh, red strawberries, sweet whipped heavy cream and light and flaky shortcake. It is red and white, the colours of the Canadian flag. 
This dessert evokes memories in me.  When I taste the cream it takes me back to memories of my first home: India.  I fondly remember drinking fresh cream on my grandfather’s farm near Alibag, a coastal town south of Mumbai in the Raigad district.  When I taste the cream, I think of him and the trips my family made when I was young.  The strawberries trigger memories of summer in my second home: Canada. It brings back the fun of trips to U-Picks across Southern Ontario and the start of the Canadian summer on sunny June days. 
I am told recipes for shortcake either Team Biscuit or Team Cake.  Here is the recipe from The Canadian Living Cookbook we use every time we enjoy this delightful summer dessert!

Classic Shortcake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp      granulated sugar
1 tbsp      baking powder
½ tsp       baking soda
¼ tsp       salt
½ cup       cold butter, cubed
½ cup       sour cream
¼ cup       milk

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Cut in butter finely.  Combine sour cream and milk, add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring with a fork to make a slightly sticky dough.
Gather into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface, knead gently 8 times until smooth.  Roll or pat out as an 8-inch round about ¾ inch thick or cut into 6 individual rounds with a 3-inch cutter.  Place on a baking sheet.  Brush tops lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in 425-degree oven for 20-25 for minutes for large shortcake or 15-20 minutes for individual shortcakes or until baked through in center and golden brown.

To serve, split in half while warm.  Spoon lightly-sweetened strawberries over bottom half .  
Top with whipped cream and then top with other half.  
Top with whipped cream and more fruit.  Makes 6 servings.

Summer in Toronto.  Enjoy!
www.housecondopro.com

No comments:

Post a Comment